The femur, or thighbone, is the longest and largest bone within the human physique. At its prime, it helps create the ball-and-socket joint of the hip; its decrease finish helps create the knee joint.
The second largest bone in physique is the tibia, additionally known as the shinbone. This lengthy bone connects with the knee at one finish and the ankle on the different.
Subsequent to the tibia is the fibula, the thinner, weaker bone of the decrease leg. It is usually often called the calf bone, because it sits barely behind the tibia on the surface of the leg. The fibula is related through ligaments to the 2 ends of the tibia.
The patella, generally often called the kneecap, is on the heart of the knee. It aids in knee extension and protects the joint. Because the knee bends, the patella slides alongside a groove within the femur.
Beneath the tibia and fibula are seven bones often called the tarsals. These make up the ankle and higher portion of the foot.
The seven tarsal bones are:
- Calcaneus: The biggest bone of the foot, it’s generally known as the heel of the foot.
- Talus: This bone creates the decrease portion of the ankle joint.
- Cuboid: This multisurface bone sits on the surface of the foot close to the fifth phalange (little toe).
- Cuneiforms: These three small bones are closest to the 5 metatarsal bones. They sit in a row starting on the inside the foot and finish on the cuboid.
- Navicular: This curved bone sits between the talus and cuneiforms.
The 5 metatarsal bones in every foot create the physique of the foot. Numbered one by means of 5, the bone that sits behind the massive toe is No. 1 and the one behind the little toe is No. 5.
The phalanges make up the toes. Every toe consists of three separate bones and two joints, apart from the massive toe, which solely has two bones and one joint just like the thumb within the hand. The three toe bones embrace the distal phalanges on the tip, center phalanges, and proximal phalanges closest to the metatarsals. The large toes don’t have center phalanges.