What’s mefenamic acid for?
Mefenamic acid is a drugs to deal with delicate to reasonable ache. Typically used as a drugs for toothache, complications, and relieve ache throughout menstruation.
Mefenamic acid or mefenamic acid is named a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). This drug may also be used to deal with gout assaults.
Mefenamic acid dosage and mefenamic acid unwanted side effects can be defined additional beneath.
What are the foundations for ingesting mefenamic acid?
Mefenamic acid is often taken four occasions a day with a glass of mineral water (eight ounces or 240 milliliters) or as directed by a physician. Don’t lie down for no less than 10 minutes after taking this medication. If abdomen issues happen, take this medication with meals or milk. Don’t devour mefenamic acid along with antacids besides with a physician's route.
Sure antacids could possibly change the quantity of mefenamic acid absorbed by the physique.
Doses are given based mostly on medical situations and response to remedy. To scale back the chance of abdomen bleeding and different unwanted side effects, take this medication on the lowest dose for a short while.
Don’t enhance your dose, drink usually, or take longer than beneficial. This drug shouldn’t be taken greater than 7 days at a time.
Should you take this drug as a fundamental "need" (not day-after-day), please keep in mind that this drug works effectively when taken when the primary signal of ache happens. Should you look ahead to the indicators to worsen, the drugs is not going to work correctly.
Should you use this medication for menstrual ache, take your first dose instantly after menstruation or when the ache arrives. Often, you solely have to devour it for the primary 2 or three days throughout your interval.
Inform your physician in case your ache doesn’t lower or worsen or when you have different new signs.
The right way to retailer mefenamic acid?
This drug is greatest saved at room temperature, away from direct gentle and damp locations. Don’t retailer within the toilet. Don't freeze it. Different manufacturers of this drug might have completely different storage guidelines. Observe the storage directions on the product packaging or ask your pharmacist. Preserve all medicines out of the attain of kids and pets.
Don’t flush medication in the bathroom or within the sewer except instructed. Discard this product when it has expired or whether it is now not wanted. Seek the advice of your pharmacist or native waste disposal firm about find out how to safely eliminate your product.
The knowledge offered isn’t an alternative to medical recommendation. ALWAYS seek the advice of your physician or pharmacist earlier than beginning remedy.
What’s the dose of mefenamic acid for adults?
Mefenamic acid dose for ache reduction: Mefenamic acid 500 mg adopted by 250 mg each 6 hours as wanted, not more than 7 days.
Mefenamic acid dose for menstrual ache: 500 mg adopted by 250 mg each 6 hours for the reason that begin of menstruation.
What’s the dose of mefenamic acid for youngsters?
Mefenamic acid dose for youngsters 14-18 years: 500 mg adopted by 250 mg each 6 hours as wanted, not more than 7 days.
At what dose is mefenamic acid out there?
Capsules: 250 mg.
Unwanted side effects
What unwanted side effects might be skilled as a consequence of mefenamic acid?
Unwanted side effects of mefenamic acid that aren’t critical however generally happen embody:
- Nausea, heartburn or stomach ache, diarrhea, constipation, bloating
- Dizziness, headache, nervousness
- Itchy pores and skin or rashes
- Dry mouth
- Sweating, runny nostril
- Blurred imaginative and prescient
- Buzz within the ear
Cease taking mefenamic acid and search medical consideration or name your physician when you might have critical unwanted side effects:
- Chest ache, fatigue, shortness of breath, unclear speech, issues with imaginative and prescient or steadiness
- Black, bloody stools, coughing up blood or vomiting that appears like espresso grounds
- Hardly ever urinate or by no means
- Ache, warmth, or bleeding throughout urination
- Nausea, stomach ache, fever, lack of urge for food, darkish urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the pores and skin and eyes)
- Fever, sore throat, and complications, blisters, peeling, and crimson pores and skin rashes
- Bruising, extreme tingling, numbness, muscle weak point
Not everybody experiences the next unwanted side effects. There could also be some unwanted side effects not talked about above. If in case you have issues about sure unwanted side effects, seek the advice of your physician or pharmacist.
Prevention & Warnings
What needs to be identified earlier than utilizing mefenamic acid?
Earlier than consuming mefenamic acid,
- Inform your physician and pharmacist in case you are allergic to mefenamic acid, aspirin or different NSAIDs corresponding to ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), different medication, different inactive elements in mefenamic acid capsules. Ask your pharmacist for an inventory of inactive elements
- Inform your physician and pharmacist what isn’t prescribed within the prescription medicines, nutritional vitamins, dietary dietary supplements, and natural merchandise that you just devour and can devour. Make sure you point out the antacids from these medication: antacids; angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) substances corresponding to benazepril (Lotensin), captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec), fosinopril (Monopril), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), enalapril (Vasotec), fosinopril (Monopril), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), perindopril (Aceon), quinine , ramipril (Altace), and trandolapril (Mavik); amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone); atazanavir (Reyataz); clopidogrel (Plavix); diuretics (‘water pills’), efavirenz (Sustiva); fluconazole (Diflucan); fluvastatin (Lescol); metronidazole (Flagyl); lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid); lovastatin (Mevacor); methotrexate (Rheumatrex); ritonavir (Norvir, in Kaletra); sulfamethoxazole (in Bactrim, Septra); sulfinpyrazone (Anturane); trimethoprim (Proloprim); and zafirlukast (Accolate). Your physician might change the dosage of the drug or monitor you intently to see any unwanted side effects
- Inform your physician when you have or have skilled situations corresponding to: bronchial asthma, particularly in case you usually really feel nasal congestion or runny nostril or nasal polyps (swelling on the within of the nostril); swelling of the fingers, ft, ankles and decrease legs (fluid retention); liver or kidney illness
- Inform your physician in case you are pregnant, particularly in case you are within the final month of being pregnant, you propose to turn out to be pregnant, or breastfeed. Should you turn out to be pregnant whereas utilizing mefenamic acid, name your physician instantly
- In case you are going for surgical procedure, together with dental surgical procedure, inform your physician or dentist that you’re on mefenamic acid
Is mefenamic acid protected for pregnant and lactating ladies?
There isn’t any ample analysis on the chance of utilizing mefenamic acid in pregnant or nursing ladies. At all times seek the advice of your physician to think about the potential advantages and dangers earlier than utilizing this medication. This drug is included within the danger of class C being pregnant (could also be in danger) in response to the US Meals and Medicine Administration (FDA)
The next are references to being pregnant danger classes in response to the FDA:
- A = No danger
- B = No danger in a number of research
- C = Possibly dangerous
- D = There’s optimistic proof of danger
- X = Contraindications
- N = Unknown
It isn’t identified whether or not mefenamant acid might be absorbed into breast milk or whether or not it’s dangerous to the child. Don’t use this medication with out telling your physician in case you are breastfeeding.
What medicines may work together with mefenamic acid?
Drug interactions can change the efficiency of your treatment or enhance the chance of great unwanted side effects. Not all doable drug interactions are listed on this doc. Preserve an inventory of all of the merchandise you utilize (together with prescription / nonprescription medicines and natural merchandise) and seek the advice of your physician or pharmacist. Don’t begin, cease or change the dose of any drug with out the physician's approval.
Inform your physician in case you are taking antidepressants corresponding to citalopram (Celexa), duloxetine (Cymbalta), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, Symbyax), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), or venlafaxine (Effexor). Taking considered one of these medication along with mefenamic acid may cause bruising or straightforward bleeding.
Earlier than utilizing mefenamic acid, inform your physician in case you use any of the next medication:
- Blood thinners corresponding to warfarin (Coumadin
- Diuretic (water tablet) corresponding to furosemide (Lasix)
- Cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune)
- Lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid)
- Methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall)
- Steroids (prednisone and others); or
- Aspirin or NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication) corresponding to diclofenac (Voltaren), etodolac (Lodine), phenoprofen (Nalfon), flurbiprofen (Ansaid), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), indomethacin (Indocin), ketoprofen (Nalfon), flurbiprofen (Ansaid), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), indomethacin (Indocin), ketoprofen (Nalfon), flurbiprofen (Ansaid), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), indomethacin (Indocin), ketoprofen (Oralfis) , ketorolac (Toradol), meclofenamate (Meclomen), meloxicam (Mobic), nabumetone (Relafen), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), piroxicam (Feldene), and others
Can meals or alcohol work together with mefenamic acid?
Sure medicines shouldn’t be used when consuming or when consuming sure meals as a result of drug interactions can happen. Consuming alcohol or tobacco with sure medication may trigger interactions to happen. Talk about your use of medicine with meals, alcohol, or tobacco along with your well being care supplier.
What well being situations can work together with mefenamic acid?
Different well being issues in your physique can have an effect on using this drug. Inform your physician when you have different well being issues, particularly:
- Anemia or
- Bronchial asthma
- Bleeding drawback
- Blood clots
- Edema (fluid retention or swelling within the physique)
- Historical past of coronary heart assault
- Coronary heart illness (for instance, congestive coronary heart failure)
- Hypertension (hypertension)
- Kidney sickness
- Liver illness (for instance, hepatitis)
- Abdomen or intestinal ache
- Stroke historical past unakan Use with warning. This medication can worsen the situation
- Aspirin-sensitive bronchial asthma
- Extreme kidney illness
- Abdomen ulcers, energetic – this drug shouldn’t be given to sufferers with this situation
- Coronary heart surgical procedure (for instance, coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgical procedure) ⎯This drug isn’t used to alleviate ache earlier than or after surgical procedure
What ought to I do in an emergency or overdose?
In instances of emergency or overdose, contact the emergency companies supplier (112) or instantly to the closest hospital emergency division.
Indicators of an overdose embody:
- Extreme drained
- Throws up
- Abdomen ache
- Vomiting bleeds and appears like espresso grounds
- Stools are darkish and bloody
- Sluggish respiration
- Coma (lack of consciousness over a time period)
What ought to I do if I miss a dose?
Should you overlook one dose of this medication, take it as quickly as doable. Nevertheless, when it’s nearing the following dose, skip the missed dose and return to the same old dosing schedule. Don’t double the dose.
Good day Well being Group doesn’t present medical recommendation, analysis, or remedy.